As you know when you start anything you’ve to do proper setting before startup of any setup. I’m currently writing a mega guide on WordPress. I’ve discussed all the aspects and points of WordPress. Here I’m going to teach you to do basic settings of WordPress blog.
If you’re looking for another WordPress point then here are my all articles of WordPress guide :
The Ultimate WordPress Guide For Beginners basic step by step guide for WordPress.
Related Basic WordPress Topics :
- How to buy domain and hosting
- How to Add Domain On Hosting
- How to Install WordPress
- How to Add Post in WordPress
- How to Add Pages in WordPress
- How to Add Media in WordPress
- How to Add Themes in WordPress
- How to Add Plugins in WordPress
- How to Add Menus and Widgets in WordPress
- How to Add Users and Update Profile in WordPress
Essential Settings for WordPress After Fresh installation :
Now, Let’s get to the point for which we’re here
General Settings In WordPress :
These are general settings for WordPress blog which are very important to build up blog structure and you’ve to do these basic settings after installation of WordPress on your domain.
How to Do General Settings in WordPress Blog :
- Site Title: In site title you’ve to write the site or blog name, It will show on homepage and everywhere. This blank will show your blog name. Write full name or title of your site here.
- Tagline: In tagline you’ve to write the intro of your site in a single line. If you’ve your quote related your site niche you can also write here.
- WordPress Address (URL): In WordPress address you’ve to write the url of your website or blog on which you’re doing these basic settings.
- Site Address (URL): You’ve to write same address as you’ve written in WordPress Address.
- Email Address: Write the valid email address on which you want to get the site notifications (upgrade, contact or update notifications).
- Membership: From membership you allow anyone to register in your website. Membership is the option from which you allow anyone to register in your website. (This is not good for security reasons but if your website is for contributors and writers then you can allow)
- New User Default Role: From new user default role you’ve to select the user role for your visitor which will register to your website.
- Site Language: From site language you’ve to select the language in which you want your site or blog. Your website content and everything will be in selected language.
- Time Zone: As you know it’s nature that every country has it’s own timezone so select your timezone according to your country. It will show you correct time in posting and updating. (Helpful in Post Cron)
- Date Format: From date format you’ve to select the pattern or format you want date for your website or blog.
- Time Format: From time format you can select the correct time format you want and the best thing you can select custom time format, you want your WordPress blog.
Writing Settings In WordPress :
Writing settings are the basic settings for article posting and publishing, Just like general settings you’ve to do it properly because after installing WordPress you’ve to setup these settings properly.
How to Do Writing Settings in WordPress Blog :
- Default Post Category: From default post category you can select the category where you post will be automatically published without selecting any category while publishing article.
- Default Post Format: From default post format you’ve to select the format you want your article in. If you want your every post in text, status or video then you can select from here.
Post Via Email:
In post via email you have to fill the proper details if you want to publish your post via email, Actually some WordPress users are not allowed to write directly on blog. If you want to publish your post via your phone you can also use this feature.
- Mail Server: In mail server you’ve to write the mail address of your server with the port properly.
- Login Name: In login name you’ve to write the user name from which you’ll publish your article.
- Password: Write the password of your mail server from which you’ll publish your article on your WordPress website or blog.
- Default Mail Category: In default mail category you can select the category on which your post via email you want. Confused? Oh I mean if you’re writing your post via email you can’t select the category from email but you can select the default category.
Reading Settings In WordPress :
Reading settings are also very important for your WordPress blog articles, homepage or static page.
How to Do Reading Settings in WordPress Blog :
- Front Page Displays: In front page displays you can select the default page for your website or if you want to show your latest posts at your website homepage.
- Blog Pages Show at Most: Blog pages show at most means that you can select the posts limits on your homepage you want otherwise you need to scroll down and down (Infinite scrolling).
- For Each Article in a Feed, Show: If you want your full content on home page or you can also select the summary styling for your articles in feed.
- Search Engine Visibility: If you check-in this option your pages will not be indexed and discouraged by search engine.
In discussion settings you can select the proper options for your post comments and discussion, As you can see the preview of recommended setting for your WordPress blog
Media settings in WordPress blog :
The media settings in WordPress blog in which you can select the default image size or custom size for your WordPress blog, As you can see the preview of recommended setting for your WordPress blog.
Recommended Permalinks Structure Setting for your WordPress Blog :
Permalinks are the links of your WordPress blog posts, From permalinks setting you can select the default structure of your link for your WordPress blog post, As you can see the preview of recommended setting for your WordPress blog
- Discussion, media and permalinks setting is not much difficult to describe but important settings for your WordPress blog are general, writing and reading settings.
- Fill all the options and blanks properly with valid details.
- Don’t use full article style in feed show.
- Don’t check-in Search Engine Visibility otherwise your all pages and posts will be discouraged to index.